BACKGROUND

Voting Rating: 5 / 6 votes Vote:

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Glued back together in the ER

So our calm morning at home ended abruptly today when I heard a piercing scream from Jacob which I knew instantly meant he was hurt. He had been out "helping" Grandpa with some yardwork- shoveling dirt for some planting Papa was doing. While Grandpa was putting topsoil on, Jacob was making a fort with all of Jeff's coolers on the deck. Grandpa continued planting and put the pruning shears down on the deck. Jacob picked them up and chopped open his pinky finger. It was ugly- blood pouring out all over. I could hardly bandage it because it was bleeding so much and the cut was on the tip which was an akward place to bandage.
So we weren't sure if it needed stitches, so I took him in to the urgent care at Kaiser Morse Hospital. It was a long 2.5 hour wait, but I'm glad we did. The Dr. soaked his finger in a saline/iodine mix. When it came out it looked so much better. The doctor said she had good news- Jacob didn't need stitches because she could use glue! What?
"Dermabond" to the rescue! So, she took out a superglue looking bottle and applied 3 coats. His finger is almost good as new! I've never seen anything like it. So, Jacob was glued back together and sent on his way.
We came home and followed through with our plans to go to the State Fair and had a great time. I'll post some pics maybe tomorrow.
Thank you, Dermabond!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness! What a scary morning! Even with all the medical stuff we've been through I don't do well with gushing blood. Argh! I'm glad they could glue him back together and you could still have fun at the fair!

Katie Scott said...

Yikes!! I bet grandpa feels terrible! I am so glad that they were able to glue Jacob back together!!! Seems so funny!

Jason and Trish said...

Man...glad he's okay. Alia needs him with all 10 fingers, you know? :) teeheehee Good job, mommy!

Katie Scott said...

ok, so I meant that it was funny that they could superglue a cut, not that it was funny that Jacob got hurt......

DeAnna said...

Oh my! Glad he is OK, thank God for Dermabond, I am sure it was a lot better than stitches!!

Amy, Steve, Molly, Paige and Garrett said...

That's hilarious in a scary sort of way. Poor Jacob. But who knew you "superglue" a person up!
Amy