BACKGROUND

Voting Rating: 5 / 6 votes Vote:

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Mother Bear

Today I was so scared. While at Chevy's on the River, the sweet Daddies offered to take the kids down to the river to see the Ducks. Jeff kindly took Jacob without complaint and I enjoyed a few minutes of peace to chat with the girls. But, the peace was shattered when I was told that Jacob was missing. I looked out the window to see Jeff in the parking lot with no Jacob in sight. This is when I became a mother bear. I passed Keilani off to another mom and ran downstairs in a panic. Jeff said Jacob ran up the stairs and when he reached the top Jacob was nowhere to be seen. I was frantic and screaming for Jacob. It was probably less than a minute before we were told he was found- upstairs looking for Mommy. In those few gut-wrenching seconds I managed to envision Jacob hit by a car, kidnapped, and drown in the river. The hormonal, raging mother bear in me came out- and Jeff got the brunt of it when I yelled that he was a bad father. My poor hubby who had been so sweet to take Jacob down to the river was repaid with my viscous words. I couldn't say sorry enough. I know he forgave me, but I also know that words cut to heart and aren't easily forgotten. I wish I could just rewind time and do it right, but I can't.

3 comments:

JABBY said...

awww. don't beat yourself up-that mother bear instict has saved many lives....

Diane said...

How scary! I think it's so totally normal to want to blame someone, when often the kids are the ones who make the not-so-intelligent decisions. I'm sure Jeff understood why you got upset, and I'm sure Jacob realized how much he scared you both!

Can't wait to see you Saturday!!

Love, Me

Nate said...

Ughh. I had a moment like this with Chloe not too long ago. I received similar results... ;-)

I won't do that again. (At least not intentionally)

Good to see you guys on the net!